Since she appeared in Robin Thicke’s eyebrow-raising music video for “Blurred Lines,” people cannot get enough of Emily Ratajkowski. (And it’s easy to see why.) Now she’s transitioning from coquettish cover girl to leading lady with the DJ drama We Are Your Friends, starring opposite Zac Efron.
Here, five things you never knew about Emily Ratajkowski.
1. Ratajkowski’s parents were reluctant to let her start modeling at a young age, saying they didn’t want a child-star model. Modeling scouts continued to pursue Ratajkowski into her teen years. “My mom would snap back, ‘She’s going to be a brain surgeon,’ ” she once told the New York Times. At the age of fourteen, she was signed by Ford.
2. Her first acting job was in 2009, when she appeared in a small role on iCarly. “I didn’t grow up with TV, so I didn’t even know what the show was when I auditioned. I only did two episodes, so I was just on set about two weeks.”
3. Her 2011 cover for the erotica magazine Treats, which featured a nude, black-and-white portrait of Ratajkowski hugging her knees into her chest, would launch her career. Robin Thicke saw the pictorial and then showed his video director, Diane Martel, who then contacted her agent about appearing in “Blurred Lines.”
4. Ratajkowski, not wanting to get pigeonholed in the music-video world (she appeared in Maroon 5’s “Love Somebody,” and in “Fast Car” by Taio Cruz), initially declined to appear in “Blurred Lines.” She was later persuaded after hearing Martel’s playful vision for the video. As for the ensuing criticism, Ratajkowski felt it gave her “an opportunity to say the things that I felt about feminism today and about women in general in pop culture.”
5. Having grown up in a progressive household, Ratajkowski is very comfortable with nudity, and is unafraid of baring it all for the camera—especially for a compelling role. “I’m not worried about nudity,” she has told the New York Times. “I’d rather play a complex character who has a love scene than a stupid girl who’s just a girl next door.”